Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What We Take Pleasure In...



I have had a project in my mind for some time, something I would consider fun, but also informative. and it is based on the 32nd verse of Romans Chapter one

"Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

This verse is the end of a narrative with closes with a list of things that are considered "worthy of death," I think we should grab a hold of this seriousness of that phrase, "worthy of death." The people that do these things will die in their sins. What is worse than that is, not only do they commit sin, they take pleasure in others that do the same. Christian, what do you take pleasure in?
Amen... and Oh my...for this is also a product of self examination, What do I take pleasure in, is it pleasing to God? Or is it "Worthy of death?

What we take time to enjoy should be a concern for every Christian. We are commanded to separate from worldly elements, (1 John 2:15-17), to abstain from the very appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5: 22) and to Touch not the unclean thing. (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)
but sadly, the church is steeped in worldly elements, even to the point of using Hollywood movies as a basis for sermons, and secular rock songs in worship services. Hollywood and the music industry have replaced the Holy Spirit in drawing people to Christ, and the results
are tragic.

So using a list of sins culled from the first chapter of Romans, I thought it would be informative to create a checklist, in the form of a spreadsheet, to critique various things that we enjoy, and see how they stands in the light of God's Word. And because it is such an easy target, I decided to start with television, and perhaps move on to music and movies. I am sure the results will be interesting to say the least.

1 comment:

  1. A very timely message. The Lord God bless you for raising this important issue, brother.

    "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

    "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

    ReplyDelete